Build cost: 175,000
Client: Bersham Hall
Location: Bersham, Wrexham
Type of works: Refurbishment and converaion of a garage to a kitchen and dining area
Total Construction Weeks to Completion: 16
Completion date: May 2021
Bersham Hall is a special needs educational facility under the QEWC board, catering for children from 7-17 years old. The works at Bersham Hall involved a total conversion of the existing garage unit next to the school, into a fully functional kitchen and dining area.
The refurbishment was completed to a high standard, including:
- New brickwork with structural repairs
- Replacement of roof coverings
- Replacement of windows and door to UPVC
- New canopy
- Brand new kitchen installation
Elements involved to carry out the project:
- Working in conjunction with the JCT Minor Works Building Contract 2016 Edition.
- Construction Phase Health & Safety Plan.
- Removal of 2nr trees and their stumps from behind the units prior to commencement of works.
- Demolition of all internal brick walls to create an open plan ready for the kitchen/dining area. Lateral bracing to the roof trusses to keep structural stability in the building.
- Provision of all new services to units, including drainage, electrical wiring, fire & security alarms and wi-fi. All of the above was connected to the school’s services.
- Strip out of the existing garage doors, which were replaced with new uPVC window & door systems. New MDF Cill Boards to all new windows.
- Existing asbestos slate roof covering was removed safely, and replaced with a new Cambrian Red Slate roof. Roof works also included the installation of new uPVC gutters and cladding.
- Formation of 2 new disabled access ramps to both entrances to the units, complete with new steel handrails.
- Formation of new cavity wall to all existing external walls, with ISOVER timber frame Batt40 insulation.
- New internal stud walls constructed to form kitchen area, with opening for servery area. New FD30S fire door to stud wall, and servery shelf fitted to opening.
- New stainless-steel kitchen units including; passthrough dishwasher, cooker, convection oven, fryer, dishwasher, 3-door counter fridge, freezers, shelving and a hot cupboard. New canopy fitted to accommodate new function.