Build cost: 1.5m
Client: Kings Norton Girls school
Location: Kings Norton Birmingham
Type of works: Design and Build construction project of 6th Floor Teaching Block
Total Construction Weeks to Completion: 52
Completion date: January 2020
The works comprised the complete design and construction of a new two-storey teaching block on the school’s existing playing field. Working with a reduced budget and very specific design brief we managed to create a superb teaching facility to the client’s budget.
The two-storey teaching block comprises a steel-framed structure with masonry construction to all external walls. The external façade consists of brickwork and a modern curtain walling construction.
Elements involved to carry out the project:
- Complete design works working alongside local specialists such as structural engineers, the novated clients architect and our in-house M + E Design team.
- Working in conjunction with the JCT Design & Build Contract (DB) 2011
- Construction Phase Health & Safety Plan incorporating a fire strategy plan.
- Liaising with the head personnel of the school with regards working close to live areas while undertaking the construction work
- Groundworks, including but not limited to; excavation, site leveling, concrete foundations & slab (fully reinforced & insulated)
- Structural steel framing
- Specialist built-up roofing
- Metsec frame system to all internal walls, with 2 different external type facades, brisk and curtain walling.
- Design, manufacture and installation of aluminium windows, doors & brise soleil.
- Precast concrete floor structure to 1st Floor
- Fully designed mechanical & electrical works to comply with SBEN calculations including underfloor heating
- Ventilation system by Breathing Buildings
- New precast concrete staircases
- Disabled platform lift installation
- Acoustic partitioning (fire rated)
- Blockwork partitioning (fire rated)
- Internal finishes to ceilings, floors & walls to a high specification
- High specification washroom cubicles, IPS systems & vanity units
- External hard & soft landscaping